Saturday, July 9, 2011

Mo's Bacon Bar (Vosges)


 Brand: Vosges
Calories: 80
Calories per gram: 5.7
Price: ??? (It's expensive is all I know.)
Where I found it: University of Washington Bookstore
Where you can find it: Vosges website










I'm not a fan of bacon.  Nor am I a fan of milk chocolate, thought I upon seeing this bar on the shelves of the University of Washington's bookstore.  But dammit, how often do I find bacon and dairy mixed together?!  I ought to try this decadent blasphemy before some rabid Jewish (read: not Jewish rabbi) person whacks me with a Kosher cookbook.

It's a cute, itty-bitty bar that clocks in at only 14g.  I can eat the entire "bar" for only 80 calories and feel satisfied.  (Alright, so it's just portion control.  Still, bravo, Vosges.)

Opening the bar out of its foil wrapper, the smell that hit me was BACON.  BACON, BACON.  The sweet smell of milk chocolate cradled the BACON like a hefty mother's arms around her brawny son's muscles.  I've worked in a deli and I know what bacon smells like.  And this chocolate smells like BACON.

Okay, I'm overexaggerating, but a sort of wonder I had before eating Mo's Bacon Bar was just how strong the bacon taste/smell was.  It's the real deal, folks.

Finally sinking my teeth into the bar was wonderful, sweet satisfaction.  The milk chocolate wasn't of the cheap, crappy quality you would find in some leftover Cadbury's wholesale, but surprisingly worked with the bacon.  And the bacon's savory taste wasn't too strong to overpower the chocolate, but lingered pleasantly in my mouth, just for me to take another bite and relive it all over again.

Eating Mo's Bacon Bar was, well without any better word to describe it, interesting. There's little bacon bits scattered around the bar, but you wouldn't have to chew it, and so it was not distracting (EpicMealTime would be proud).  It tasted good, I can say that.  But I just found it too sweet, and a more subtle, clever variety of dark chocolate would have worked better with the bacon.  There is a dark chocolate bacon bar, but I have no clue if I'll ever get my hands on that.  Heh.

Here are the ingredients:
Deep milk chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, dry whole milk powder, cocoa mass, soy lecithin-an emulsifier, vanilla), 10% uncured bacon (pork, water, sea salt, raw sugar, white pepper, dry juniper berries, celery juice, lactic acid-start culture), salt, Milk chocolate (45%) contains: 37% cocoa solids minimum, 15% milk solids minimum.
 Dry juniper berries?  Celery juice?  Talk about an omnivore's bar :P


No comments:

Post a Comment