Saturday, July 9, 2011

Icewine Chocolate Fudge (Heart Industries)

Brand: Heart Industries
Calories: 90 a piece
Calories per gram: 4.3
Price: $3.99
Where I found it: Canada
Where you can find it: Any freakin' souvenir/tourist shop in Canada












Before someone complains about my crappy photo-taking skills, I'll make it a point that this stuff is EXPENSIVE.  Found on the shelves and overpriced candy piles in just about every tourist store--from the average souvenir stop to "Italian" gelato businesses--in Canada, Icewine Chocolate Fudge is up there with maple products to distinguish the United States and its northern neighbor.

That isn't to say that this fudge isn't delicious, though.  You know what, screw maple!  And screw the fact that this product has "TOURIST BAIT" written all over it, because I am LOVING.  THIS.  STUFF.  I'm surprised that no one has said anything about Icewine Chocolate Fudge, but at the same time Canada isn't a magnet for tourism anyway.  Admittedly, I've never had fudge before, so I'm not one to run to for a good opinion on quality fudge. 

One of the pieces of fudge is small.  It's only 2.5 X 1 inch of icewine goodness, but without a doubt worth the 90 calories.  It doesn't leave your finger moist with oil or grease or--well, shininess.  You do have to watch for smearing your fingers, though.  

The fudge has an easy give (as I guess all fudge do), and the icewine smacks you before the chocolate does.  Before eating this, I had no clue what icewine was--until the unmistakable, sweet, fruity nectar that must be icewine stepped forward and proclaimed, "GOD DAMMIT, I'M FROM CANADA!"

Icewine is an easy flavor to describe because it's loud and proud.  It's strawberries and raspberries and grapes blended all together, with shots of steroids because damn, this stuff is not subtle.  If you let the taste slide over the back of your tongue, there's a slight wine taste that's as satisfying as savory.  As someone who usually finds things too sweet, this fudge was pushing it, but I was enjoying the stretch.  In fact, the sweetness is characteristic of icewine, and without it the fudge would not have much character.  

As for the chocolate, it was some above-average chocolate, and I have to commend this fudge for at least using real cocoa (and "Belgian milk chocolate" as the ingredients state).  Certainly if mockolate was utilized, it wouldn't have been nearly the same and the icewine would taste merely cheap.

How I like to enjoy my icewine fudge?  I split one piece in half, and slowly nibble on it as I think and ponder about things.  Then I take the second half and repeat.  And once it's gone, I feel satisfied, yet eagerly await the next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment